"*" = New
"+" = Change
"-" = Fix
--- What's new in Zoom Player v14:
* New Download & Tracking plugin API has been developed.
The API specifies which file extensions or URL sub-string matches to
pass to the Download & Tracking API instead of trying to play.
This information is specified under:
Adv. Options / File Format Association / File Extensions : Download
The API can be used create a plugin that integrate with 3rd party
download software or directly download the content itself.
The tracking portion of the API shows the currently download state
and whether there's a good chance the download is currently playable.
This information is displayed in the media library, file browsing and
download tracking fullscreen navigation interfaces.
* The download tracking navigation interface has been enhanced with the
ability to predict when you can begin playing a media file while it is
When using the new Torrents plugin, the prediction is based on the number
of torrent pieces that have successfully downloaded from the beginning and
end of the media file.
By default this is 2% from the beginning of the file and 1% from the end.
The Torrents plugin requires qBittorrent version 4 or newer to work.
qBittorrent is now available to download through the Install Center.
A quick slideshow demonstrating how to use the Torrents plugin:
We are building a library and possibly a seed-box to show case public-
domain and creative commons videos. If you would like to expose your video
to Zoom Player's user base, please contact us at:
* Download tracking plugins can be enabled, disabled and configured through
a new interface under "Adv. Options / Interface / Fullscreen Navigation /
* New Playlist media library source plugin that lets you assign
any playlist as a media library category.
* The media library fullscreen interface's settings page can now be used
to select the Audio Rendering device (audio output), making it easy to
switch between different output modes (switching audio between rooms,
speaker setups, headphone output, etc).
* The media library fullscreen interface's settings page can now be used
to select the Video Rendering device, making it easy to test out
different rendering qualities or in cases where a particular video
may not play correctly in your preferred video renderer.
* New "Facebook" smart play profile for playing facebook video URLs
using the 3DYD directshow filter.
* New "Vimeo" smart play profile for playing viemo video URLs using
the 3DYD directshow filter.
* New "Daily Motion" smart play profile for playing Daily Motion
video URLs using the 3DYD directshow filter.
* New "Streaming Services" smart play profile supporting streaming
* New feature (Adv. Options / Playback / History) to prevent files or
URLs from being saved to the play history. All you need to do is
specify a partial string, for example "\some folder name\" or
* New feature (Adv. Options / Playback / History) to hide files or
URLs from being displayed in the play history dialogs while
still remember the last playback position, volume, subtitle track,
etc. All you need to do is specify a partial string, for example
"\some folder name\" or "someurl.org".
* New feature (Adv. Options / Playback / Controls) to disable seeking
controls when playing files or URLs containing a specified path or text.
* New feature (Adv. Options / Playback / Audio / Visualizations) to
override the audio renderer when playing with visualization.
This allows you to use the "DC-Crossfading Audio Renderer" to support a
volume fading effect on Start/End/Play/Stop/Seek only when playing with
visualizations. This is similar to how WinAmp fades audio between tracks.
Download the DC-Crossfading Audio Renderer here:
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Interface / Fullscreen Navigation) to display
all navigation interfaces on a secondary monitor.
* New setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Controls) that controls
whether Zoom Player switches to the next/previous track when using
next/previous chapter function on a media that does not contain chapters.
This setting is enabled by default.
* New setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Audio / Visualizations) that can
force playback to delay for a specified number of milliseconds after
finishing to play a track with audio visualizations.
* New setting (Adv. Options / Playback / Audio / Visualizations) that
specifies the visualization rendering frame rate, by default 30fps.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Playback) that reloads a live stream if the
stream disconnects unexpectedly.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / Interface / Playlist) to automatically play
the next media in the playlist after deleting the currently playing
media. This setting is disabled by default.
* New "Scrape using media derived title (instead of file name)"
media library category setting used to scrape online for content
based on the media's title (instead of the file name).
* New "Do not display the media's position/duration on top of thumbnails"
media library category setting to prevent the current play position and
the media's duration from appearing on top of thumbnails.
* New "Do not display a media format (audio/video/picture) icon on top of
thumbnails" media library category setting to prevent the drawing of a
media format indicator icon from appearing on top of thumbnails.
* New Setting (Adv. Options / On Screen Display) that controls the OSD
* You can now create and save chapter points (bookmarks) for streaming URLs.
* When taking screenshots of the playing video (Alt+F keyboard macro),
the current play position is now saved as part of the file name.
* The fullscreen information navigation interface now includes media format
information extracted using the MediaInfo.dll plugin.
* New (optional) control bar button to open/hide the fullscreen stream
selection navigation interface.
* New "exSetAudTrack" extended function that sets the current audio track.
* New "exSetSubTrack" extended function that sets the current subtitle track.
+ The media library "TheMovieDB" plugin's Movie/TV detection accuracy has
increased by cropping out more undesired key-words from file/folder names,
using a fuzzy search algorithm to better detect non-exact movie names
matches and preferring a release year with a partial name match to an
exact name match with a mismatched release date.
+ The internal image decoder (JPEG/GIF/PNG/BMP) is now capable of
downloading and displaying images directly from web servers
(e.g. a playlist full of image URLs).
+ Using the "open streaming link" or "open streaming link from keyboard"
functions will now relay downloadable URLs to any matching download plugin
(for example .torrent/magnet links) without affecting the current playback.
+ The media library 'RSS Feed' plugin now caps the maximum cached entries
to 2000 and the description length to 3500 characters. Otherwise, over
time the RSS plugin data would become too large and would stop displaying.
+ The playlist fullscreen navigation interface now draws a playing icon
next to the currently playing track.
+ The YouTube Search and Trending media library plugins will now use a
search/trending thumbnail when creating new categories.
This change does not apply to previously created categories.
The new images can be manually assigned using the category configuration
By default the new images are located here using Windows 32bit:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Player\MediaNavPlugins\YouTube_Search.jpg"
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Player\MediaNavPlugins\YouTube_Trending.jpg"
And here using Windows 64bit:
"c:\Program Files\Zoom Player\MediaNavPlugins\YouTube_Search.jpg"
"c:\Program Files\Zoom Player\MediaNavPlugins\YouTube_Trending.jpg"
+ The new version update notification will now include a condensed highlight
list of what changed in the latest version (will only appear in the next
version released after this one).
+ The "Scrape folder thumbnails by using the name of the first video
file within the folder instead of the folder name" media library
category setting now works better in TV Jukebox mode by scraping
only for the show name, no longer scraping season/episode numbers
from the file name.
+ Pruning the play history (using the button) no longer erases URL entries,
only local files that were erased from the disk drive.
+ The thumbnail and meta-data cache folder is now cleared once
a week instead of on every exit, improving the time it takes
Zoom Player to close.
+ Many of the main navigation icons were polished to give the default
navigation theme a more consistent look.
+ The "unknown" icon has been updated to better suit the UX design.
+ The media library plugin API can now accept local-file thumbnails
when creating new categories.
- Fixed a major issue with random play that would cause it to stop working
after the entire playlist has been finished playing one time.
- Installing an audio device or a custom audio renderer filter would
change the selected audio renderer for DVDs and WMP ActiveX playback.
- Fixed a crash when trying to open a URL from the clipboard when the
clipboard contained junk text.
- Using local settings files while running multiple Zoom Player instances
from different folders prevented changed settings from being saved.
- Zoom Player didn't look for subtitles in the XySubFilter's
paths definition, causing subtitles not to load when they
were not in the same folder as the video.
- Playing a media from the windows explorer (or other 3rd party software)
would show an "are you sure?" prompt by accident.
- Fixed a crash when trying to load a malformed play history cache file.
- The Zoom Player Install Center and Zoom Player itself were out of
sync, triggering a new components update notification to appear
within 2 weeks after running the Instal Center.
- Registry entries were not being saved/loaded properly when running
Zoom Player in Windows Vista compatibility mode (and possibly other
compatibility modes). This of course lead to instability.
- When enabling the "Seek to key-frames when using LAV Video decoder
(faster, less accurate seeking)" setting, some file handles were not
properly closed, preventing the playing media from being erased
until Zoom Player was closed.
- The key-mapping editor's search feature did not work.
- Fixed a freeze triggered by the media library's 'RSS Feed' plugin on
certain RSS feeds that used an ASCII #13 as a line break.
- When playing a SHOUTcast stream, the playlist editor cleared the
selected entry every second.
- Smart Play's "Configure File Source" dialog did not set a default
value for the "Use with" field when a non-english language pack was
- The "stay on top" setting would stop functioning when exiting fullscreen
mode with the playlist editor visible.
- The Windows Picture Library and Music Library (system folders) may not
have displayed with the correct thumbnail layout in the media library.
- The controlbar's volume pop-up slider did not appear in the correct
position under some circumstances.
- Fixed a glitch where TAG display for a local file playback would show
"???" instead of international characters.
- Fixed an issue where audio visualization wouldn't render in the correct
resolution when changing the visualization display size.
- Wrong duration displayed in the playlist when using Windows Media Player's
ActiveX control to play streaming media.
- Double-clicking a station list entry to begin playback while the
media library was opened could trigger a playback of whatever was
highlighted in the media library instead of the station list entry.
- Hiding the "Media Scanner" and "Remove Category Folder(s)" from the media
library's category listing would break keyboard quick search from working
on the last category listed.
- In some cases, when using the "Media Close Delay" feature, the delay
would be twice as long as the specified value.
- Playback of ASX playlists did not work.
- With some language packs, the text for the station manager's left
column would cut-off.
- Debug logs related to kinetic scrolling were being saved by the
- The Double-Click function did not work when clicking audio
- The default value for the new "Navigation on Monitor" setting was
accidentally set to as fullscreen on a the first monitor instead of
the current monitor (within the window or fullscreen).
- Fixed a crash when trying to close the media library just as it was
- Fixed a bug in the smart play source filter "new profile" dialog which
caused the "use with the following URLs" entries to be lost when pressing
smart play's auto-configure button.
- The OSD clock is now closed when the options dialog is open as it
caused other windowed opened through the options dialog to hide
behind the options dialog window.
- Fixed a few small memory leaks.
Click here to view what was new in previous versions.