Ok, I posted a beta version of Zoom Player v1.40 beta 8, this version has the following changes:
* Entire back-end switched from the Media Player component to
DirectShow. This took hours upon hours of digging through obscure
microsoft documentation, samples and delphi reference. Hopefully it
didn't introduce too many bugs.
* Due to the new DirectShow interface, there is a spanking new
* Due to the new DirectShow interface, you can now access the
property dialog of any DirectShow filter used in rendering the
file (basically useful for accessing the DivX control panel).
This is accessible through the right-click menu.
* Due to the new DirectShow interface, you can now set the
playback aspect ratio. You can cycle through the four
aspect ratio modes by pressing the "R" key, or through
the right-click interface. The four modes are:
1. Fit to Window (basically manual aspect ratio).
2. Source Video
3. Fullscreen 4:3
4. Widescreen 16:9
With these settings you should be able to play anamorphic
AVI/MPEG files! (not to mention fixing the aspect ratio
on MPEG-1 files once and for all).
* On Screen Display support for probably more features than
I care to list, including all the logical ones and others
such as visible window size when resizing the window using
then Alt-Arrow keys.
* You can now toggle the space key functionability to be either
the default toggle for the Control Bar, or to the more traditional
* You can now use Alt+[Space] to toggle the control bar.
* Volume support using the Home/End keys.
* Slightly restructured the interface buttons.
* Added a Play and Stop buttons to the main interface.
* Added an option to use the "," char in the fast forward and
slow motion fields. This should help people with non-english
versions of windows to enter fractional numbers (maybe).
* If Play is clicked and you are in fast-forward or slow-motion modes
playback will continue and the play rate will be returned to a
normal rate. If play rate is normal, playback will pause.
This seems far more logical.
* Pressing Ctrl-S when playing off a play list will stop the video
to the first track in the play list.
* You can now use Ctrl+(0..9) to store the current zoom settings in
any of the 10 presets.
* Pressing the "D" key with a DivX movie loaded will pop the DivX
* Pressing on the Control Bar preset button when not in a Zoom mode
will now open the normal preset dialog and not the one used in
* Fixed the slowness in MPEG-1 seeking. This was in fact some
sort of bad-design on microsoft's part, it was caused when
seeking in frame mode (vs. time mode) in DirectX-8, something
that worked just fine in DirectX-7. Go figure... In any case
I've used some translation code to get over this issue.
* Removed the support for the non-floating control bar, frankly,
it was something that should have never went in.
As you can see, a lot of work has went into it. As far as I can tell, this beta is pretty solid. Since it's beta,
it doesn't include the installer, just put it anywhere and run.
You can use either mirror to download: