This review was conducted on:
- Intel Pentium-3 600 & Celeron 400 processors -- normal clockspeed
- Abit BX6-2 motherboard rev 2.01
- 128 Megabytes Crucial PC133 ram
- IBM UDMA 33 10.1 gig hard drive
- ATI RADEON LE 32meg Video card (TV-OUT tests done on Rage Fury 128)
- Pioneer 103s 6x DVD drive w DMA enabled
- 17 inch Sony 200ES Trinitron monitor
- Diamond MX300 Vortex-2 Soundcard. Aureal 2040 Reference Drivers.
- Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 speakers
- Plextor 8x20 CD writer w Adaptec 2930c SCSI card
- MS DirectX 8.0a
- TV OUT tested using S-VIDEO output to a Sony 35KVS66 Trinitron
I have been loyal to ATI for a long time. I was satisfied with my Rage-Pro card, I was very happy with my Rage 128 once
I found drivers it liked; now on to a RADEON. Unfortunately, the TV-OUT on my Radeon doesn't work correctly (ATI, you
couldn't give me a break could ya!?) Fortunately, the Monitor portion worked fine, and the Rage Fury card was used to run
the TV-OUT tests. A Warranty replacement of the Radeon should be available before the next review.
Further annoying me in the warranty world, my replacement SB-Live! Value soundcard was damaged in shipping and had to
be returned AGAIN! (Grrr!) There is something to be said for shopping at a store! When something does go bad, you are
not stuck with reboxing and shipping defective parts and waiting sometimes weeks to get your system back to normal.
The Vortex-2 card still is a workhorse, and its results will be comparable to most high quality PCI soundcards available